Today, electricity systems all over the world are facing significant change due to numerous factors that include:
- Emerging technologies
- Increased digitization
- New business models and energy solution providers
- Changing consumer preferences and needs
Ontario Looks Ahead
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) is developing an Innovation Roadmap to facilitate an internal and external dialogue on the evolution of Ontario’s electricity, and broader energy sector, as it relates to IESO’s mandate. The roadmap will identify the key challenges and opportunities facing the IESO in preparing for this change and, establishes multiple benefits for the people of Ontario, including:
- Priorities for learning
- Capability building and the removal of barriers within IESO’s scope of accountability to the innovation of others that support improved system reliability
- Cost effectiveness and efficiency
The roadmap will be supported by a multi-year plan to prioritize, focus and coordinate IESO’s work with others to address shared goals for research and development to support grid modernization.
IESO’s Phased Approach for Dialogue
- Phase One of the engagement will include an innovation roadmap webinar for the public webinar to capture broader stakeholder feedback.
- Phase Two will present draft elements of IESO’s innovation roadmap for review and comment by stakeholders and communities who will be informed through draft material postings, a webinar and potentially face-to-face sessions.
PCI is actively engaged with the stakeholder engagement process to ensure that our GenManager IESO solution is current with all market initiatives and that it provides PCI clients with the required support for upcoming technology changes.